Welcome

This is a documentation of my journey seeking "my best self"
I am a blessed woman, 2 healthy loving sons and an abundance of all that one needs.
This is not a journey to more of the material stuff, but in seeking my passion and living my best life.
Due to illness, parenting, and busy everyday life, life has lived me instead of me living life.
The purpose of this journey is to turn this back one step at a time.
How will I accomplish this? This I will learn gradually, one thing I am sure of each day of my journey will take me closer to myself.

Blessings,

ETA: I am separated and I can assure you it is for the better. The boys and I are doing good, they are sad but at least they have some breathing space now and don't have to march to the beat of their father's drum anymore. I am more relieved than sad and feel freed from his constant state of depression and lathargic way of living.


zondag 27 januari 2008

Siroop=stroop=syrup?

Today I taught my eldest son how to make syrup. Syrup or stroop as surinamese call it or siroop as the dutch call it is a thick sugarsyrup with essences and citric acid. It is used as a "lemonade" diluted with water and given to children as a drink (okay so it might be a kid drink but I love it and so do all the other grownups I know )

I have searched several american sites for a bottled syrup to show a pic but I could not find any! Is this true don't american's make homemade syrup? There are so many benefits for making your own syrup: it's cheap, it's tasty, you know exactly what flavors go in so you can minimize the artificial flavors, you can make sugarfree syrop for diabetics and it's quick too!
This is the recipe for syrup made with white sugar and pineapple and cola flavor
Ingredients:
  • 1 pk of white sugar (1 kilo)
  • 2 glasses of water (500 ml half a liter)
  • food aroma essence* (2 teaspoons in total so one of each if using different flavors)
  • citric acid (1 teaspoon)

Put the sugar and water in a pot and stir. Put the pot on a medium heat and stir every 2 min. When sugar starts to boil (large bubbles not just the lil ones on the side) turn heat off and place pot somewhere to cool off) The fluid will turn into a clear syrup like this: see the sugar crystals on the side of the pot? That's what happens to the syrup when it gets cold, the cytric acid and food aroma prevent this from happening when cooled off)

Once cooled off (not totally cold but lukewarm if you leave it to cool off completely the sugar will start to form crystals on top of the syrop) add the citric acid and stir well, add 2 teaspoons of the food aroma essence and stir well. Pour syrup in a large CLEAN AND DRY bottle. You can use the syrup to make a drink 1 prt to 4 prts of cold water. Or you can make snow cones. Keep in mind that this syrup is made for home-use and not for commercial purposes when diluted the drink will be very lightly coloured but the taste is just right.
* I usually use this kind of aroma essence but I found this brand in the chinese store yesterday and I gave it a try and it worked just fine! Any aroma essence will do just make sure you use a fruit flavor and not something like vanilla or almond, in the Netherlands they are usually sold in chinese or surinamese stores but I am sure you can buy them anywhere in the States.

Enjoy!
ETA: pic of the syrup cooling off in my kitchen window-sill

2 opmerkingen:

Anoniem zei

Goed gedaan meid, alleen wilde ik graag van jou weten of je ook orchade stroop kan maken . Ok alvast bedankt en gauw je reaktie

Anoniem zei

Nice fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.